Girls Night!

TEACHBROECK On 5:57 AM

Girls Night!
Girls Night!,
originally uploaded by teachbroeck.
Tuesday, K and I went to go get pedicures. Of course it was ZERO degrees the next day (down from 70s!) so no flip-flops to show them off! It was a reward for her doing so well at our schools reading incentive program. I have mixed feelings about our program as they put a numerical value to the tests taken about books. The number lends itself into a competition among the students, and its purpose is to motivate each child individually. One child may work very hard to get say 12 points where another can easily get 30. I feel bad for the 12-point child who looks at the number and then feels bad. Anyway K deserves recognition for her efforts and I am proud of her. Today, for the school reward she gets to spray paint a teacher’s hair pink in front of the school. (you may remember one brave teacher that let a student CHOP HER HAIR OFF for last quarter's reward! =) HAPPY EASTER TO ALL OF YOU!!

3 Responses "Girls Night!"

  1. Kait says:

    That's a very interesting reading system. I assume the tests are comprehension tests, right? To prove that the students read the books they said they did?

    If I wrote the program, I think I would also take into account the reading level of the book, page count, etc. so the harder the book, the more points you got. I know how easy it is to read a "simple" book compared to one that's a bit more complex.

    My sister read the Red Tent. I think I'll read it after I'm done with this pregnancy (I'm sticking with chic-lit and romance). She really enjoyed it, so I think I should as well.

  2. The books do have levels...I don't let my third graders read 20 1st grade books to get their points. Once in awhile I don't mind because HEY I love picture books too. Some of the kids read 5th grade books and they are worth more points..as long as the kids read at their level (which could be higher or lower than their grade) I am happy. I read aloud chapter books too and let them take 1 a quarter. MOst books at my daugher's lever are woth .5 or 1 point...she got 45 which is awesome as long as she had fun!

  3. Kait says:

    45 is a pretty excellent score. Hee. What would my score be? :P