BPA

TEACHBROECK On 11:25 AM

Okay this is the post where you may think me a bad mother (unless of course you already think that because my son sleeps on his belly)
Anyway...My kindof StepSIL on Jdog's side of the family (can you say BRADYBUNCH?) sends me the following email:

Hello! Here is a website I got on BPA bottles, etc. I think you said you use Vent-aire, and they do have BPA in them. We used those and are going to exchange them at ToysRUs. You don't need the receipt or box to exchange for BPA free bottles, but I'm not sure how long they are doing this and they often don't have the BPA free in stock. Maybe you want to stick with the Vent-aire, but just a heads up:)

She was nice about the whole thing, but really everyone I know uses the Vent-aire and I LOVE THEM and people have been using halfass plastic for YEARS! When I think of all the things I heat in the microwave on plastic (diet meals, reheats). IS this like the advice not to stand in front of the microwave or using your cell phone while pumping gas will blow you up? When is enough enough? Is this just a ploy to get me to buy a different brand..? I do not heat up Baby J's bottles..I use nursery water and mix them at room temperature as I need them or take bottles filled with water and measured powder in the diaper bag. I can't heat up a bottle at the mall or in the car so why get him used to it...just my thoughts...

What are your thoughts on the BPA? Even the sippy cups are being targeted!
Here is the link she sent me...not sure how I feel about the source...I just don't feel compelled to run out and buy new bottles.

10 Responses "BPA"

  1. Maremone says:

    Honestly, I just don't care about the whole thing (not your post, the issue itself). So much of the stuff out there for parents is based on fears. Seriously, did you see the Parents july issue heading? "The worried mom's guide to vaccinations". As if we don't have enough stuff to think about already and enough guilt to fight off!

    done with rant.

    BTW I too heart the venti-aire bottles and will continue to use them.

  2. believe me.. I think about this A LOT! my MIL is SUPER into not heating anything in plastic.. I don't think twice about it.. So I don't think I am very worried. But at the same time, in even 4 months when I have to buy bottles I bet they will all be BPA free anyway..

    I mean... kids used to chew on lead paint covered windowsills.. and they still survived. I think to some extent it is good to be informed.. but I also think you need to just decide what is really worth it to you.

    Even during the big tomato scare, I didn't stop eating them. Even being pregnant.. Yea.. there are germs on produce.. I think we all gather that.. I see the guys in the feilds picking them.. I see the pimplely faced kid at the grocery store putting them away..and even the old man that sneezes on them.. There are germs.. No new news there!

    p.s. you also shouldn't use deodorant because it gives you cancer!! :)

  3. p.p.s. Nursery water???? I think you're already buying into their tactics!! Just kidding...

  4. Christy says:

    I don't obsess over this issue either. I am like you - I never heat our bottles up, so I don't think it even matters.

  5. WOW! Thanks for the support guys! I kinda knew I wasn't going to run out and buy new ones but now I really AM NOT!
    Ryley-funny and true about the lead paint! And I use the nursery water cause we are hicks and live out in the country...have had soo many issues with our water filter that I just feel more comfortable paying 96 cents for a gallon of the stuff that doesn't hurt his tummy!

  6. Amanda says:

    This is the first time i have ever heard of this! My 4 boys were all fed using Avent bottles and they are big healthy boys, and shock horror, i never breast fed any of them either!! I must be a bad Mum!
    The latest scare over here that i have just read about in the paper is that eating more than two sausages a week will give you cancer! Crazy crazy crazy!!
    Take Care,
    l,
    Amanda xx

  7. Chastity says:

    I think I fit somewhere in the middle of this. I stopped heating things in plastic containers before the whole BPA issue came to light. I had heard something about chemicals leaching into food or something like that. I used Avent bottles at first with Lila (she hated them), then we tried Dr. Brown's (she liked those), then we stopped using bottles for a while, and then when I went back to teaching and she had to go to her sitter I used Playtex Nursers since the nipple was breast-like. Anyway...they all had BPA in them, but we didn't heat them for the most part. I'd pump and the sitter would put the bottle in a cup of warm water and let it warm up to a luke warm temp since Lila was never used to really warm milk. So, I don't think she would have received much BPA anyway.

    With that said, since Babies R Us/Toys R Us are allowing us to trade in the bottles, I probably will. Playtex has since gone BPA free, so I'll probably just trade my old ones for new ones.

    Oh, and sippy cups don't concern me. I never give Lila warm liquids in a sippy cup anyway.

  8. I actually just threw LOTS of my bottles out for the BPA. Then, found out they would allow you to exchange them. I found another stash & managed to get 19 brand new bottles for the ones that had been very used & abused. I'm not SUPER obsessed, but I prefer to be more cautious.

  9. Nellie says:

    yeah, I'm just not sure what I think of all this. in 4 years they'll come out with a study that bpa isn't actually harmful and they now found it beneficial to our health... ya know what I mean? it just goes back and forth. So is it true that drinking cold liquids from them doesn't leech the bpa into the liquid? only when it's warmed? is that what they are saying?

  10. Nellie says:

    we used avent bottles. i should return them at babies r us. get new ones. we never heated them up in the micro. just heated them in the bottle warmer or in a cup of warm water.

    we also used nursery water up until a few months ago. we live in farm country and there are just to many weird chemicals and pesticides in our water!